| The Cove Cemetery located
on the hills south of Cove overlooks the Grande Ronde Valley and
the surrounding Blue and Wallowa Mountains. It is a beautiful
and historic cemetery with the earliest stone dated 1864, which
marks the grave of Selena Grace Hendershot the young daughter
of a Cove pioneer. For many years after that, Cove residents continued
to bury their family members and friends on this site. In its
early days of existence that cemetery was enclosed by a rail fence
and was called the Rose Ridge Cemetery. A hack was purchased to
transport those to be buried up the steep and muddy road to the
In 1883, James and Ellen Bloom, owners of the property, donated the land to the newly formed cemetery board. The cemetery operated from the sale of grave plots and local fundraising efforts, especially the Memorial Day dinners, which brought many former residents to Cove on that day. In 1949 The Cove Cemetery Maintenance District was formed to operate the cemetery and to receive tax support to carry out this responsibility. Since that time numerous improvements have been made to the cemetery including the acquisition of additional land, improved roads, increased maintenance, and stone benches located throughout the grounds. The cemetery board is in the process of installing a decorative metal fence and gates on the entrance side of the cemetery.
The cemetery board is made up of David Fields, President; Carole Stockton, Treasurer; and Bette Puckett, Secretary. Information about the purchase of cemetery plots and burial arrangements can be made by calling Bette Puckett at 541-568-4577.
Partial listings of people buried in the Cove Cemetery can be found at the following web sites: