Cove Public Libary
The Cove Public Library has served the Cove community since 1895 and is owned and operated by the Cove Library Improvement Club. Its members volunteer their time and talents to maintain the library and serve as librarians. The Cove Improvement Club was formed in 1912 and is a nonprofit organization with IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
In 1909 a major Cove fire destroyed the library building and all books except those out on loan. The library relocated to the Cove City Hall and was again destroyed by a 1921 fire. The present building was completed 1923 through major community fundraising activities and volunteer efforts. Continuing support from the Cove community and the librarians who worked with little or no pay are major contributors to this record of service.
Within the past several years extensive
improvements have been made in the library building and in the
services provided to the public. Wireless Internet access is
available to library users. Connection with the Pioneer Library
System allows for the borrowing of books and materials from
over 70 libraries in Eastern Oregon. An expanded collection
of children and adult books are available, as well as an large
collection of audio books and video materials. The Cove Library Improvement
Club has remodeled library space for additional books and a Cove History
Center located in the rear of the library. New members are always welcome. Cove Library Improvement meetings are on the second Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m.
Cove Library Improvement Club
Front row from left: Genevieve Nicholson, Donna Metsker, Judy Snyder, Louise Van Schoonhoven and Mary Jane Johnson
Back row: Nancy Stark, Arlene Goodson, Carolyn Rickter, Mady Gordon, Susy Rich and Alice Alexander
10 am to 5 pm Tuesdays
606 Main St.
Mary Jane Johnson, President